How to Write an Appendix Essay
Are you wondering how to write an appendix essay for the document you have just created? If so, then you have landed in the right place. A literary appendix, just like its human body counterpart, includes supplementary information, which is not strictly compulsory to the main body of the document.
What is an Appendix?
Appendices are often added at the end of a document to give additional information that will help a reader understand the materials presented. This can include and reference section for students, summary of raw data or additional details on techniques behind the work.
Why Appendix Writing is Important
Writing an appendix is an efficient way of presenting vital information that is too large to be included in your paper. It contains those explanatory details that your readers should reference in case of such a need. Including appendix information is always beneficial for both the reader and writer if one wants to achieve a custom research paper with good references. To create a professional appendix, read the introduction part for your assignment. It will help you remember the general objectives and aims of your writing. You may include all supporting materials in appendices without creating clutter in your paper, making it convenient for your readers. As someone reaches the final part, it is always possible to check appendices before the list of references and your Bibliography page. A well-written appendix must be easily accessible, valuable, and engaging. If you are struggling to know how to make an appendix, knowing why it is important will be beneficial as you learn and come up with a perfect assignment.
What should be Included in Appendices
How to do an appendix? This is a common question asked by every other student stuck in the situation of preparing appendices for his essay or document. Collecting all the relevant content for the appendices is key to get your job done in a simple way. While it will always depend on your subject and the necessity of an appendix, it will contain the following essential elements as you learn how to write an appendix:
- Raw data collected during research work for your essay
- Supporting charts, images and graphs
- Instruments used to conduct research work
- All statistics, surveys and interview transcripts
- Research methods and sample calculations
- Appendix Number or Letter corresponding to your assignment.
- References related to your body paragraphs with a # sign placed after the sentence.
- Corresponding page numbers if there are multiple appendix cases.
- Label + Title. It must be centered and use normal capitalized fonts. Your title must be followed by the appendix label.
- Provide a clear link to Appendix and your body text to ensure that everything is linked properly.
- Your first paragraph must not be intended. The second, third, and subsequent body paragraphs go with indents.
- Format each paragraph using double-spacing.
- If your appendix essay represents some date, it must be referenced as a number in the body text.
- In case some third-party references have been mentioned, they must be cited as usual within body paragraphs.
- There is no need to create a separate references list.
Regardless of your structure, remember that only supporting evidence and relevant contributory facts must be included. If there is any specialized data with technical figures, tables, maps, or any technical descriptions, it must be mentioned and properly referenced as well.
Useful info: Get law essay help by Top legal experts from the UK!
Adding Raw Data
Add all raw data that you have collected during research for your document. There’s no need to get worried about the details as you can add anything that you consider relevant to the text in your paper. Anything that supports your findings is worth adding to appendices. Some students want to know how to use appendices. This is because information given there might not separated in a useful way or in accordance with the details discuss earlier.
- Raw data should include sample calculations, specialized data and raw statistical data.
- Feel free to add contributory facts from other informative sources that support the findings in your writing. Never forget to cite information that you are giving from other sources.
Include Supporting Charts, Graphs and Images
All visual supporting papers including images, maps, charts, drawing, graphics and photographs need to be presented in your appendices.
- You can include charts and graphs that you have created specifically for the appendices or can refer to another source for such details.
- Keep a straightforward structure for all supporting maps, graphs and images.
Read also: Buy Essay in the UK and Be Confident in Academic Performance
Mention Research Instruments
Never forget to note research instruments that you have used throughout the research work, meaning tools like tape recorder, video camera or any other device.
- For instance, you can write in your appendices, “All surveys and interviews were recorder with a tape recorder.”
- Mention details about any other device that you used for gathering any specific information related to your study.
Useful info: Buy research papers and forget about worries!
Include Surveys or Interview Transcripts
Interviews and surveys are an important part of the overall layout. So always make sure to add all the surveys and interview transcripts conducted as part of research. The transcript being added should include all questions and answers. Feel free to include stuff like photocopies of hand-written surveys for a better impression.
How to Format an Appendix?
Before you collect relevant information for your appendix, it is vital to learn appendix format rules. Luckily, there is not much to learn as it follows basic (APA or MLA) formatting rules. An additional data may be included if you are dealing with a book or dissertation writing.
The basic appendix essay rules:
- Heading with corresponding [Appendix #]. It should also contain a number or letter that may be either 1 or A, depending on what formatting style you choose.
- Your References list should come next.
- Index Table. The list of relevant appendencies must come next.
- The corresponding page number.
There may be some minor differences in some appendices in an essay (like in some engineering research papers) where you have to provide files that have been generated by the specialised software. In such a case, it will include additional references with a full explanation of the online links.
Do not forget that some papers will include several appendices, which will introduce additional formatting rules. For example:
- Each appendix that you include must be related to a single topic.
- Refer to each appendix by using Name in a bold font like Appendix A, Appendix B, etc.
When you include the Appendix in your text, refer to it as “see Appendix A” at the end of some sentences in parentheses.
An appendix example of citation:
In addition to provided information regarding cyberbullying, Jones et al. (2009) researched relevant studies that focused on illegal gambling and exchange of intellectual property materials in private closed networks (see Appendix B for detailed information).
Each appendix that you use must be labeled with a corresponding letter (like A, B, C, and so on) depending on where exactly it appears in your text. In other words, your first appendix mentioned would become “Appendix A”, the second Appendix (a separate one) would become Appendix B. However, if you must include over 26 appendices, it is recommended to proceed with the AA, BB, CC patterns. Using only one appendix, it does not come with any letter or number and is mentioned in a bold font just as “Appendix“.
As you learn how to use an appendix in an essay, remember that:
- Each appendix must have a title.
- Start each new appendix on a separate page with a page number.
- Title and label of each appendix must be placed at the top of the page with the normal capitalisation.
- First paragraph must be flushed left with an indent.
- If you include tables or figures, use the same references system as you would with the usual text, except for tables and figures with a numbering rule where it would become Table B4 as the fourth table in Appendix B. It is also relevant for appendices in report cases.
How to Write an Appendix in Different Styles
Here is how to create an appendix in popular academic writing styles:
- All appendices should refer to a relevant point.
- Include a title for each appendix used.
- Use the ABC title pattern for multiple appendices.
- When referencing appendix within the body, use “see appendix A” format.
- Your APA appendix title must be centered.
- All appendices must start at their separate page.
- First paragraph is written without indents. Subsequent paragraphs have normal indented formatting.
- Pages must be double-spaced.
- Font: Times New Roman, 12.
The rules are mostly the same as in APA:
- Appendix must be placed before your Works Cited page.
- Appendix label and title must be centered and capitalised.
The same rules as above apply, except for:
- Page numbers must be labeled as “page, 1,2,3”
- Front cover page number is not included.
- Your bibliography should be the final page that starts on a separate page.
- You are allowed to include footnotes for your Bibliography.
Here is how to structure an appendix in Harvard style:
- Appendices must be placed before the end of research work or essay and before the reference list.
- Anything that is placed in an appendix must be cited in the body of your essay as “Appendix”.
The rest follows the same set of rules as APA and MLA formats.
Learning With Professionals
If you have learned what is an appendix, yet still face certain differences, consider turning to trained Writix experts who will assist you with the basic formatting rules and composition of your appendix. We all know that appendix writing is always time-consuming and it is easy to make minor mistakes, which is why it is helpful when you can save some time and let professionals assist you! Just place your order with us and have another look through the rules to make sure that nothing is missed!