Resources for Educators for the Development of Digital Citizenship
Administrators and teachers are urgently looking for a proven system that will guide them through the complexities of Web 2.0. Too often, events like cyberbullying, sexting, plagiarizing and hacking push litigious chaos into the forefront of technology adoption, essentially stunting the development of digital citizenship progress. In response to this real and palpable need, we offer you these resources.
Dive Into Data Privacy and Security
- Student Privacy Professional Development Courses for K12 Educators: Training for teachers, employees, administrators, and school board members to ensure technology innovation and learning goals are balanced with privacy and security responsibilities.
- Student Protected Information Table for Educators: is a quick reference chart for educators and school administrators to verify which pieces of student information are protected by which privacy laws, aligning them side-by-side for easy comparison. (The state laws listed are those of California).
- Top 10 Privacy Tips for Educators: walks educators through likely scenarios where student privacy needs to be considered. It is designed to increase student privacy awareness and improve privacy practices.
- FERPA 101: Introduces basic issues of FERPA and privacy, and helps elementary and middle school educators consider ways to build parent confidence about education technology and protections for personal information of young students.
- COPPA 101: Summarizes basic issues of COPPA and privacy, and helps elementary and middle school educators consider ways to build parent confidence about education technology and protections for personal information of young students.
- iKeepSafe Privacy K-12 Curriculum Matrix: Outlines age appropriate ways to teach students about the consequences of exposing their own personal information and why they should respect the privacy of others.
- Digital Compliance and Student Privacy: Provides steps to implementing privacy and security compliance programs.
- Data Privacy and Schools: Examines challenges related to managing data privacy and security in schools.
Engage Your Whole School Community
- Creating a Healthy Digital Environment for 21st Century Learners: Highlights the successful digital leadership strategies of the Ventura County Office of Education.
- Be Kind Online: Promotes healthy relationships and prevents social isolation by building strong, inclusive communities in schools and online.
- Generation Safe™: Offers a suite of professional development, self assessment and incident response tools for all school staff.
- Incident Response Tool: Guides administrators through the resolution of various cyber incidents.
- Generation Safe™ 360 Self Assessment Tool: Provides a review of the school’s e-safety competence and helps schools identify their progress.
- Simi Valley Unified School District: a successful strategy to strengthen digital citizenship. Highlights one district’s strategy to strengthen digital citizenship.
- BYOD White Paper: Explores building a successful bring-your–own-device (BYOD) program.
- E-Rate Funding: Explains the E-Rate requirements and how to fulfill them.